Friday, December 10, 2010

Thinking ahead and gearing up

We are getting close to the end of this adventure and I am thinking ahead and planning for the next one. I have read the next adventure and I believe that I am ready to start shortly after we wrap up this one. Based on our current pace and taking the holidays into account, I would expect that we will have this adventure wrapped up in early to middle January.

The next adventure will take you from 5th level through 7th. Please be thinking ahead as to what you plan to do with your character when you level. The materials from the Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide can now be used.

I have invited Hans Nelson to play. He found us on the web and asked if he could join. I told him that he could jump in when the next adventure started. I expect that he will be joining you on the next adventure. We have not discussed what he plans to play yet but I anticipate getting the detail over the next few weeks.

The next adventure will continue the storyline from the first. It will not be quite as linear. There will be more options on how the characters can progress.

I am looking for player feedback. We have been doing this now for almost 2 years and I am wondering if there are any things that you could see us doing differently that would help the game run more smoothly and be more enjoyable for all of us. I am looking for constructive and realistic suggestions. What I am looking for are things like practices we can implement or new tools or references that can be utilized.

Is the Character Summary enough to help keep track of the characters? Do we need to post full character sheets somewhere?

Is the Map Explored to Date useful? Does anyone look at it?

I stopped updating the Obsidian Portal with turn posts. I also have stopped updating my web site with archived turn maps. It was extra time spent that seemed to yield low rewards. Has anyone missed them?

I do like the Obsidian Wiki. Any suggestions to better utilize it to support this game?

Does the Player Action Response - Turn Post Template work for folks? Some of you are using it and others are not. I was originally looking for a standarized template. If you are not using it, why not? If you are, are there improvements that you can suggest?

Does the dual GM Turn Post and Turn Results Post format work for you?
 
Are the maps descriptive enough? If not, how would you suggest changing them?

Your input is welcome.

8 comments:

  1. My thoughts, which I'd be happy to expand upon at your request:

    Character summary- It works well enough, but I think it can be improved. I suggest keeping it as a goodle doc, shared with everyone, editable only by you. The Google doc can then be embedded into a page, saving people the trouble of downloading/opening the file in excel, and ensuring it is always up to date. (how to: http://docs.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55244) This would also work well for posting more complete sheets, inventory. loot, etc.

    As a new player, one thing I had trouble with is trying to catch up on old posts. There's a lot of game mechanics, OOC, and individual combat rounds, I found it very hard to actually read the story. Perhaps every now and then, a story-like wrap up could be posted somewhere? ...maybe it already is and I'm a dummy. :)

    Turn post/results works fine for me. Perhaps you can elaborate on what you meant by using/not using the template? I 'trim' it to fit my actions that round, is that not using it in your sight? Do you prefer it to be posted more fully?

    As for the turn results post, I find them plenty informative. My only complaint about the blog is not being able to change my subscription to receive a notification on all new player posts (comments). I get new GM post notifications, but I prefer to be bugged more often, it would help remind me that there's work to be done, and let me know when you make a comment in a thread after I've posted.

    Ok... that's the abridged version. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a full set of sheets--whether it be google docs as Brad mentioned or something else--posted and updated would be handy. Sometimes I post from work or the wife's computer and I dont have quick access to the sheets.

    I look at the Map Explored to date rarely. I think it will be more important if the next story arc is more free-form.

    I never looked at Obsidian Portal or the archived maps.

    I thought everyone was using the Post Template for combat turns. It contains a lot of extraneous data if you want your character to perform an action out of combat.

    I echo Brad's comment about the story. I've been here since the beginning and I have only a vague recollection of descending into the dungeon to rescue townsfolk. If we were supposed to figure out whos tomb this was or have some kind of revelation about how to defeat the head bad guy, it sailed way over my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of Google Docs; I keep a copy of my full sheet in my GMail in case I need to call it up away from home base, but would be nice to view everyone too.

    I havent viewed Obsidian in forever, either.

    I periodically look at the Map Explored.

    Probably too late for this adventure, but perhaps going forward... Maybe every 10 turns, do a Copy+Paste rodeo of just the "Results" posts, which outline the story pretty well? That would be a lot easier to review, and make for a good recap.

    Finally - If there is a way to make this thing notify me every time ANYONE posts to it... I would love that. LOVE that.

    I think this has been fun... interest seems to wax and wane... but overall its been enjoyable. Thanks for running things Keith, I'm looking forward to continuing onwards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking someone own the Character sheets. Put them as a PDF on a Google Document share or something.

    Then maybe one sheet with the shared loot.

    Maybe an Objective sheet?

    Objective 1: Why we are in the dungeon.
    Objective 2: Currently scouting for X or looking for Y

    I feel sometimes I have gotten lost in what were were doing.

    I have been trying to stay focused. Just sometimes it gets hard. And I loose my way since a lot is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say chuck the initiative, we should go in the order we reply in. I know, that means Dave will go 1st most of the time(he can lurk if he wants to go later), but its nice to know whats happened so far in the round, like in a normal game.

    I never go to obsidian either.

    I look at the excell sheet all the time.

    I look back at old maps too. but have them saved as images on my HD.

    The character icons on the map could be a tad smaller, or just the name in a small square. To make it easier to see the lines on the map.

    I look at the excell sheet to see hit points mostly. To see if i can attack, or if I must heal. If you did post the full character sheets somewhere, I'd still like to see the hit point 'full/damaged' tally in a easy to read format. Maybe

    Bru 52/52, Bru-W 31/33, Dav 44/44, MatH 47/47, MatF 54/60, B? 36/58, Leera 38/38. In the turn results part.

    I adapted the TURN POST TEMPLATE to show the math I have to do, but keep it mostly the same.

    The dual GM Turn Post and Turn Results Post works for me.


    DAYS UNTIL GEN CON 2011
    236 days, 9 hours, 49 minutes, 37 seconds

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think you need to host the old character excell sheets. You have a copy if we ever do need to see last years info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And the link to the excell sheet could be on the PBB page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone for your feedback. I will see what I can do with it to make improvements.

    The Excel Sheet is linked from the PBB page. It is on the right just above the marching order in the PBB References section.

    Adding an objectives section to the Character Summary should be eacy enough.

    I think I can keep a "Story So Far" summary as a link. I would likely do it as a word document but I can look into Google Docs if you like. I would also be ok with farming this responsibility to a player.

    I can likely post the character sheets to the web site and link them to the PBB page. If they are all done in Hero Lab they can be added as PDF attachments to the page.

    I could add a running hit point total to the Turn Post similar to what I do for initiative order.

    I do not think I will be making a change to the initiative system. Who posts first is not a fair way to do it and it would make some feats and traits obsolete. It also does not factor in enemies and NPCs.

    I do not believe that I can set the blogt notifications to fire on any post (Not sure I would want that either). I do think you can follow the blog by adding it to your dashboard.

    ReplyDelete